Saturday 4th July 2026

A warm and humid day for the team of 7 and to maximise working time it was agreed to split into two teams and head off in opposite directions.

  

Team 1, Paul, Lawrence and Dave, headed off to Hayles Abbey Halt to cut the grass from the road entrance all the way behind and past the northern end of the platform. The arisings were raked and neatly stacked off the end of the platform on the embankment. The Malvern side looked lush with an abundance of wild flowers, which have been left ahead of a single cut later in the year. I was told they were treated to a fly past from two spitfires during the morning, it is nice to see the team being so valued they get their own flypasts!

Before

  

After

  




Team 2; Alex, Rachael and Nick, and I headed to Gotherington south of the signal box, to carefully clear a perimeter around two sites of Japanese Knotweed and but temporary fencing in place. This is a head of treatment, of the knotweed by a specialist contractor, starting in August. The small amounts of brush cut was mulched down and left site. We were treated to a low flying Red Kite who was watching over a farmer working in his field.




Both teams completed their work swiftly and with that combined for a visit to Toddington Narrow Gauge to look at a collection of willow and cherry trees, consider how best to remove them. The Cherries will be removed in the Autumn, with the willows and some brush in this area scheduled for some winter work.

  

  



I took this video of Betton Grange on its way from Winchombe towards Hayles Abbey Halt. I do have this in black and white as well, but the colour version shows the lush lineside array of grass and wildflowers moving in the breeze. It shows the years of hard work by current and previous members of the lineside clearance team paying off.

Graham

Comments

  1. So. With the Red kite, you DID get a fly past as well! The trimming looks wonderful. I am doing garden work at home at present, and know how draining that can be in this heat. Well done to you all.
    Regards, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, I'm pleased you noted the link of fly past.thank you for your comments and support. Graham

      Delete
  2. Thanks for strimming again at Hayles Abbey halt , have you put weed killer on the paths . Or flick out the weeds from the chippings and membrane like used to do ! Back breaking task ,needed physio after ! John M .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, thank you for your comments and support. I don't think we did either, however Hayles has been added to our work plan for a trim each month so I will add that as a note for next time. Graham

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday 7th March 2026

Saturday 23rd May 2026

Saturday 28th March 2026